Steve & Carol

Steve & Carol
Above Soda Canyon in Mesa Verde National Park

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Nice Hike at Buffalo

 Looking at the information the RV park gives you when you check in I notice a mention of the Petrified trees. I suggested to Carol we should go find them so with her mom we went searching for the ancient trees. I had heard about petrified trees in the Buffalo area, after finding them I realize I've driven by them 100's of times.
For hikers the area offers beautiful scenery, education and a short hike. The one mile trail located east of Buffalo takes you back 60 million years to the geologic era of the Early Eocene.
By the way, watch out for snakes. Carol saw 2 and 1 was a rattler.

This area has had very little excavation.

Stump of a tree




 
Notice the tree lines in the trunk of these petrified trees




Big Horn Mountains in the distance

 
Nice size trunk supported by installed wooden poles

 
Massive trunk covered by dirt. I can only imagine how large it is.

 

No comments: